It is important for parents to understand that there are circumstances that are impossible to prepare their children for but they can empower their children to be aware of their own personal safety.
Child safety advocates Gary Martin Hays, Mary Ellen Fulkus and Adam Weart have recently authored a book titled “The Authority On Child Safety” that is a blue print for parents to start the dialogue with their kids about child safety. They share 5 reasons why parents have to act now to empower their children:
1. You can’t be with your kids 24/7
2. 90% of students in grades 4-8 report that they have been bullied at some point
3. There are 58,200 non-family abductions each year
4. 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 8 boys will be sexually victimized before the age of 18
5. There is 1 registered sex offender for every square mile in the U.S.
(Statistics above are based on US numbers only)
Diena Thompson is a mother who lost her daughter too soon. She shares why she thinks parents should read “The Authority On Child Safety”
“ As a surviving parent and President of the Somer Thompson Foundation, I know there is a great need to talk with our children about their personal safety. This book will provide parents with a starting point on how to begin this important dialogue at home. Every parent should read this book and take the steps necessary to help better protect their children.”
All proceeds from the sale of this book will go towards “Let’s Protect Our Kids” a project of Keep Georgia Safe.